INTERNATIONAL RELATION SPECIALIST - GEOPOLITICS
● Desired starting date: immediate
● Duration: A full-time permanent contract
● Experience: PhD or Master’s degree with 5 years of experience
● Language requirements: French and English fluency, Arabic desirable
● Organization: Policy Center for the New South
● Location: Rabat, Morocco
The Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) is a Moroccan think tank aiming to contribute to the improvement of economic and social public policies that challenge Morocco and the rest of Africa as integral parts of the global South. It advocates for an open, accountable, and enterprising “new South” that defines its own narratives and mental maps around the Mediterranean and South Atlantic basins as part of a forward-looking relationship with the rest of the world. Through its analytical endeavors, the think tank aims to support the development of public policies in Africa and give the floor to experts from the South. Ultimately, with an approach focused on dialogue and partnership, the PCNS aims to cultivate African expertise and excellence for the holistic analysis of African and global challenges and identify appropriate solutions.
The Department of International Relations of the PCNS examines key geopolitical and global governance challenges and opportunities, with a focus on Africa, in order to provide evidence-based policy analysis and recommendations. Through our events, research and publications, we aim to stimulate an understanding of contemporary international relations at a time of global political instability and threats to international security. To achieve this, we draw on a global network of senior fellows, experts from government, civil society, academics, the research community, and business leaders. Key studies include contemporary international relations, global geopolitical balances, North-South relations, South-South Cooperation, International Law, Africa’s place in the international system, the Moroccan foreign policy, and the regional environment of Morocco.
About the candidate:
The Department of International Relations is looking for one highly qualified International Relations Specialist specialized in Geopolitics with a special focus on international relations challenges, Africa, and the South Atlantic. The International Relations Specialist - Geopolitics analyzes the major dynamic at play in an era of new global geopolitics, by examining the mutations of the geopolitical order as well as global trade questions that will define this new era, with a special focus on Africa. The successful candidate is highly motivated, accomplished, and numerate and will work in a team with other IR researchers and report to the head of Department. The role involves close contact with Senior Fellows and experts, policymakers and the research community.
About the mission:
The International Relations Specialist – Geopolitics will work on various PCNS operations and analytical activities. Specific assignments may be decided in dialogue with the Research Department Manager and will be based on priority needs. The IR Specialist on Geopolitics will undertake some of the following:
• Provide deep analytical insight and understanding of global geopolitics, with responsibility for the execution of strategic initiatives in accordance with the charter of the PCNS and based on a detailed knowledge of international relations dynamics,
• Develop a strong ability to navigate and collaborate with an ecosystem of external analysts/specialists, political risk firms, and think tanks,
• Draft analysis and research on key African countries for incorporation into publications,
• Contribute to analytical work produced by experts, the blog, and internal and external publications,
• As necessary, represent the PCNS at events/seminars…,
As part of contributing to the general operation of the PCNS, the IR Specialist – Geopolitics will undertake some of the following:
• The implementation of strategically sound analytical methodologies
• The coaching of less-experienced team members to improve their skills in research, analysis, data analytics, and visualization,
• The reviewing of the work of colleagues and following their skill development/serving as a mentor for other analysts and specialists,
• The contribution to other operational activities of the PCNS, in collaboration with other departments.
• PhD or Master with 5 years of experience in Geopolitics or International Relations,
• Relevant work experience in research,
• Fluency in French and English language (reading, speaking, listening and writing) is required, with proven ability to explain complex concepts in a crisp, clear, concise and graphic-rich style,
• Advanced skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint,
• Collaborative and able to work well both as part of a team and independently in a multicultural environment,
• Being flexible to work on several projects at the same time,
• Contract Duration: A full-time permanent contract,
• A competitive salary package including social benefits,
• A passionate, dynamic, multilingual and multidisciplinary team that takes on daily challenges,
• A corporate culture based on strong values such as integrity, innovation, leadership and trust,
• At PCNS, we don’t only offer you a position, we offer you a career. We are committed to supporting you in your career path through real training opportunities.
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.